Friday, August 2, 2013

THE FIRST 10

Well the first week of 1/2 marathon training is in the bag, or at least the running portion is. I surprised myself and didn't skip a run yet! I know it's the first week, but still I can usually talk myself out of a run pretty easily.

Anywho the schedule this week was:
Sunday - 2 - 18:20
Monday - 3 - 27:28
Tuesday - Yoga
Wednesday - 2 - 18:19
Thursday - Supposed to be 3 but I was sore so I swapped it with my rest day
Friday - Supposed to be a rest day but I did Thursday's 3 - 28:00
Saturday - 30 min workout.

We are headed to C-town this weekend and have plans to take the pup swimming so Murph suggested I do some "open water" swimming for my workout at the lake. This will be rough for me because I am not a lake fan and I haven't swam laps in oh ..... 10 years maybe?! BUT swimming is the best workout out there so I am anxious to see how my 30 minutes goes. I also am anxious to see WD take to the water again :)

My average mile split was near the 9:20 mark which I am honestly pretty jazzed about. I am a habitual 10 minute miler and to inch ever closer to the 9:00 minute mark is an accomplishment over here. If I can hold that pace for all 13 miles or even 9:30 I'll finish in 2 hours and 4 minutes. I won't break a land speed record at that pace BUT it would be very fast for this girl.

My coach/training partner is my best asset in this process. Willy is LOVING the exercise and I am LOVING his companionship. I purchased the IronDoggy waist leash and it makes running with an ambitious dog ridiculously easy. Now I might look silly wearing it but it really doesn't even compare to carrying our big flexi in my hands. This leash has give, knots and handles to pull Willy closer if needed and various clips and hooks for me to decide just how close he should be to me. I think the best part of having him attached at my waist is that he is pacing me much faster than I run alone. My goal is to keep slack in the leash as we go so he's not got the tension on his neck and it's working out great for both of us. Fan-freaking-tastic I say! If you want to run with your dog get yourself and IronDoggy leash.



So that's the first week, only 11 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment