Thursday, August 9, 2012

FINANCIAL PEACE

I guess this whole getting married thing has made me feel like I should be more of an "adult", and a big task Murph and I are undertaking is combining our finances and coming up with a life plan. I won't lie, it's exhausting! I am the dreamer and thankfully Murph is the realist. If it were up to me I'd have a new wardrobe every year and lots of other fun things, but Murph helps me keep things in perspective. We've already met with a financial planner and are in the process of finding a good accountant too, but the biggest step will be paying off our debt.

Our friends S&J took Financial Peace University while we were in our marriage prep class last spring and couldn't say enough good things about it so we are taking the plunge and following in their footsteps starting on September 17th.

If you haven't heard about FPU before head over here and you can read all about it. Essentially Dave Ramsey suggests 7 baby steps to becoming debt free, mortgage included!
#1 - $1000 Emergency Fund
#2 - Debt Snowball
#3 - 3-6 Months of Savings
#4 - 15% in Retirement
#5 - College Funding
#6 - Pay Off House
#7 - Build Wealth and Give

Thankfully Murph and I aren't in the position of the person we heard on Dave's Podcast yesterday who was $330,000 in debt JUST IN COLLEGE LOANS, um guess I won't be a pediatric dentist any time soon! But we do want to start off on the right foot and take care of my student loans ASAP.

I am so excited to take this class, just listening to Dave's podcast makes you eager to get to a position where you can give freely, and that is our overall goal. To be able to give without looking back sounds AMAZING, and I can't wait to share our 9 week adventure with you. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you two to take the class. It is a great program. Stacy and I don't always follow and find ourselves going against the rules, but we've both got the same goal in mind -- the ability to give like nobody else. Pray about it often and ask for help, it is not easy.

    ReplyDelete