Friday, June 22, 2012

ON THE RUN

Murph loves a good workout. Me, well not so much. Typically any sort of fitness routine requires me to have a partner to become successful, otherwise I find something better to do, like eat raw cookie dough or grab a blizzard from DQ, or even play solitaire on the iPad (which is my newest addiction, like solitaire is a new fad or something). Taking this into account I decided I needed something to work for and told Murph we should train for the Des Moines 1/2 marathon. Lofty goals I have. Anywho, after some convincing and reminding that I am not a fast runner I got Murph to agree.

This is the point where he says, "We've gone on 1 run, let's not say we've truly committed to a 1/2 marathon Les". But it's true. Last night we laced up our kicks and took Willy along for our first family run (well 2nd we tried once this Spring and I was not having it). I chose to start with 2 miles, and hope to get myself in a 2-3 mile groove for a bit before we officially start a training schedule. Running with the Hubs and Pooch is good because I won't give up, but watching your dog move at a pace slightly faster than our typical walks is frustrating and having Murph try and keep up with my blistering 10:00 / mile pace is a strain for him ... ok not at all, he is struggling to run at my speed which is 2:00 / mile slower than his typical pace. I also must mention there was one point where we were headed up a long but not very steep hill where Willy stopped to turn and look at me like, "what's the hold up?!" ... twice. I guess that's motivation for you!

Although, I felt like we were cruising along last night at a faster clip than usual, of course we rolled in right at 20:45 UGH. Murph did comment that I was not out of breath at all so we could go faster, so that was reassuring. Either way I was happy we did a family run, it hopefully can be a great thing we do together most nights and can enjoy together. I am lucky to have Murph by my side, and WillyDog out in front. Even if the 1/2 marathon doesn't come into fruition we will be doing the Des Moines Color Run on October 6th, a 5k so that is something to look forward to. As motivation and to give you all a good laugh I will re-post one of my favorite photos of me running .... or should I say speed walking at the Drake 8k. Hahaha, good times.


1 comment:

  1. That picture is ridiculously funny. I laugh every time I see it.
    I also love Greg's 'we've gone on one run' comment.

    Good luck with the running!

    ReplyDelete