Thursday, May 29, 2014

IN BLOOM

I can't believe how long it has been since I've written anything here! I used to be so faithful, I guess life got busy.


Spring seems to have come and gone in a matter of a few days and I think Summer has made its official entrance. I obtained my first 3rd degree sunburn of the year today and I am sure it will all just peel off within the week.

We've been moving and shaking like crazy around the house, but that doesn't seem to be anything new for us :) Since we finished the outside of the house we've been working on trimming out all of the windows inside as well as patching the wall in our bedroom where we took out the window and of course that let to repainting our bedroom a new color. We have officially painted every wall and ceiling in the house now, and I am pretty sure Murph will not paint anything here ever again now! Afer we finished the window trim came the subject of window coverings. UGH. Talk about stressful. Window coverings are SO EXPENSIVE! After rooting around and talking to friends we decided on some top down bottom up cellular shades. We hit a sale on Blinds.com and took a leap by ordering them. Stay tuned for my thoughts. I am just excited to take the tarp down in our guest room and to block the sunlight once and for all in our bedroom.

Now we have committed ourselves to the outside for the summer and I am loving it. I finally was able to fill my planters that Murph got me for my birthday last year, and something tells me I won't be allowed to head to Earl May alone again! I filled the one on the left with with Persian Shield, Marguerite Sweet Potato Vine, Wasabi Coleus, Magilla Purple Perilla and Solenostemon Blumei Coleus. The right one has another Magilla Purple Perilla, Black and Blue Salvia, Magellancia Perilla, a Sangria Charm Supertunia and a Blackie Sweet Potato Vine.


We also got an American Flag put up, added a non-Hawkeye doormat, moved another plant outside and added a new wreath to the front door. I am LOVING the new view! I just feel like I am headed into a cozy home now versus the standard builder house I used to roll up to.


Inside, the orchid has taken off. Murph got me this for our first Valentine's day together and it's been touch and go, but last summer I re-potted her and now she is going crazy! She's my favorite and I smile each time a new bloom appears.


Out back we've been hard at work demolishing fenceline, moving plants, tearing out trees and planting shrubs. We've mainly worked on the back fence, removing some evergreen trees and replacing them with Weigela and Dwarf Osier Willow. We also added another set of the same shrubs to the left of the lilac as well.


Now we've moved on to the never ending task of cleaning up in between each of the stones of our edging. It's my least favorite thing to do, but does bring the most satisfaction. Murph also cut each of our wine barrels in half to make planters for next year that I can fill with annuals.


Last year we harvested thistles and Murph wasn't up for that again so I planted a few veggies. We've got 4 cherry tomato plants, 2 green peppers, 2 red peppers, 3 summer squash and 3 zucchini. Murph trimmed back our raspberries and they also seem to be doing great. The garden beds need to be replaced something fierce, but that will be for another year.


We are in the process of getting rid of our hot tub (holler if you know someone who wants it!) and decided to take the privacy fence down on the south side of the cement pad. Eventually I envision us adding a few chaise loungers in this area and a side table.


All of that work called for a celebration and our 2 year anniversary was the perfect excuse. Murph spoiled me with an amazing gift ... stay tuned for details on that. Hopefully it won't take me 3 months!

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks so fresh and makes me so ready for summer! That front porch is calling my name, have a coffee waiting for me!
    Also, what's up with removing the hot tub? Don't use it very much?
    Also, I would like some cherry tomatoes...in a Hello Kitty trashcan please. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete